As we approach Saint Valentine’s Day, let’s explore how we can infuse this celebration with love, learning, and our Catholic faith. Join me as we delve into the history of Saint Valentine, discover engaging preschool activities, savor delightful recipes, and explore valuable Catholic resources for this fun feast day!
The Story of Saint Valentine for Kids
Before we dive into the activities and recipes, let’s take a moment to reflect on the rich history of Saint Valentine. This third-century martyr is celebrated for his acts of love and compassion. His commitment to the Christian faith and the sacrament of marriage inspires us to infuse our own celebrations with faith and devotion.
Catholic Preschool Activities for Valentine’s Day:
- Saint Valentine’s Storytime: Begin the day by sharing the story of Saint Valentine, emphasizing his love for others and his dedication to spreading love and kindness. Check out the post on our blog for age-appropriate books about this saint.
- Heartfelt Prayer Craft: Encourage your children to express their love through prayer. Provide heart-shaped cutouts from construction paper and guide them in writing or drawing things they are grateful for or want to pray for. Encourage them to include prayers for their family, friends, and even those in need. Display their heartfelt prayers as a visual reminder of the power of love and prayer.
- Saintly Valentine Cards: Be A Heart has delightful, fuzzy Valentine’s cards for kids. These adorable Saint Valentine Fuzzy Coloring Cards include 6 different holy people: Saint Francis, Saint Therese of Lisieux, Saint Josephine Bakhita, Bl. Carlo Acutis, Saint Joan of Arc, and Saint Oscar Romero.
Remember, these activities not only celebrate Valentine’s Day but also align with your mission of raising Saints and instilling values of love, kindness, and faith in your homeschooling journey.
Want more candy-free ideas for celebrating with your little ones? Download our FREE Saint Valentine Printable Pack!
Recipe Ideas for Valentine’s Day:
- Blessed Breakfast Pancakes: Start the day with heart-shaped pancakes, using this time for a morning prayer and reflection on love.
- Saintly Fruit Kabobs: Create fruit kabobs with heart-shaped pieces, discussing the importance of nurturing our bodies, temples of the Holy Spirit. This can be served with yogurt or eggs for a protein. This makes a great lunch for kids on Ash Wednesday.
- Heart Shaped Pizzas: Download our FREE Saint Valentine Printable Pack to get our special recipe for Heart-Shaped Mini Pizzas your whole family will LOVE!
Catholic Resources for Valentine’s Day
Catholic Resources for Valentine’s Day: Explore these valuable resources to deepen your Catholic homeschooling experience during the season of love:
- Catholic All Year Blog: Find insightful posts on liturgical living and family-friendly activities.
- Holy Heroes: Access resources for Catholic kids, including videos, activities, and coloring pages.
- Catholic Family Crate: Discover liturgical resources for Catholic families.
- Catholic Sprouts: Enjoy bite-sized podcasts and activities to incorporate Catholic teachings into your homeschool routine.
- Formed.org: Access a wealth of Catholic videos, books, and educational content like Brother Francis and Marcam that is great for the whole family.
Be sure to check out our Color & Cut Affirmations Mini Bundle on Etsy! This is the perfect activity to do with your kiddos for Valentine’s Day!
As we embrace Saint Valentine’s Day in our homeschooling journey, let’s remember that every moment is an opportunity to grow in love, faith, and knowledge.
Share your own Valentine’s Day traditions and experiences in the comments below, and let’s continue this beautiful journey of raising saints together!